STHS Year 12 Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum aims to support our STHS students to acheive the best results possible

+7
Trung
Jeffrey Yang
William Luo
William Lo
Ling chi Lee
Daniel Dinh
Man
11 posters

Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010

Tim
    Tim

Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010

Post by Tim Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am

camp committee > jersey committee >= Yearbook committee >>>>>>>>>>>> whoever is doing formal (lol)

Just sayin'
    Jeffrey Yang
    Jeffrey Yang

Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010

Post by Jeffrey Yang Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 am

notice the influence by melvin in each.
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Daniel Dinh wrote:...and Man was the only one reasonable enough to give a response that didn't essentially say "Fuck you!"

Jeez, you people are nuts...

Edit: Besides, I'm still right in saying that the "profile book" is a crappy idea. I mean, we're basically just getting a phonebook at the end of the year. A yearbook should be something where everyone gets a page that's personal and represents them as a person, not just a page with personal details. Even if it was black and white and just a crappy photocopied, dodgy-staple job, it would still be much more 'personal' than a profile page.
    Yay! Man's not as crazy as everyone else! I reckon the individual profile design is not a bad idea, but I think that people are going to have problems answering a few questions, let alone design their own page. And with our grade's infamous "ability" to comply with deadlines, I'm not sure everyone will hand in their things in time.
    Jeffrey Yang wrote:notice the influence by melvin in each.
    Lol true, he's like the backbone of all the activities here... pretty sad really since it is supposed to be a student thingy, but who said a bit of guidance ever went astray!
    Martin Huang

Post by Martin Huang Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Daniel Dinh wrote:Jesus Christ people! I make a legitimate question and you people immediately start flaming and making assumptions everywhere. I wasn't being a egotist or "trying to get my way". I didn't know the answer to the question, and I was legitimately interested, and Man was the only one reasonable enough to give a response that didn't essentially say "Fuck you!"

Edit: Besides, I'm still right in saying that the "profile book" is a crappy idea. I mean, we're basically just getting a phonebook at the end of the year. A yearbook should be something where everyone gets a page that's personal and represents them as a person, not just a page with personal details. Even if it was black and white and just a crappy photocopied, dodgy-staple job, it would still be much more 'personal' than a profile page.

Another edit: So what is wrong with a review system? Let everyone do whatever the hell they want with the page, but then someone/a few people review them and judge whether it's "too colourful" or "too weird/penis-y". We did it with jersey names, anything that's too expicit gets rejected and the person must make a new name. You do the same with profile page, if it's too "colourful" or too rude, then either reject it or tone it down and ask them if they're happy with what you changed.

Being perfectly honest, I think you people are just taking the easiest path/path with least amount of effort required, just like the formal "committee".

Sophistication does not always bring the best results, rather in our limited time frame with limited resources its just a huge PIA. You've delivered your well thought out criticism, but now please why don't you come up with any suggestions to address this issue?

At the moment the only viable option is the profile book. So far the only crafty thing i can think is putting the profiles into groups. But then theres the subjective opinion issue as not everyone is on even terms, and then we'd probably get bagged out for discriminating etc... blah blah,...

Just to remind you, those profile submissions do not make up the bulk of our yearbook. It is merely a PART of it, not the whole thing. Just to remind you there is a media DVD, and it isn't going to be a little half arsed extension but an important part of the package.

EDIT: Btw I've already told you personally that customised profiles are possible, but i think the grade would agree that that would be a mess. Lets say 10% of the grade does it, I think going through our yearbook would be perplexed as to why these people get special treatment.
    Daniel Dinh

Post by Daniel Dinh Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 am

You've delivered your well thought out criticism, but now please why don't you come up with any suggestions to address this issue?

Have you even read my comment? I gave you criticism, and gave you a perfectly viable "suggestion". Keep telling everyone to do it, and if they haven't done it, then get someone who knows them well to do it, or you guys do it based on what you know about them. That's what a yearbook is essentially - how people remember you best. If you did a page for Sam Gill, it would have saxes and music everywhere. If it was for Michael Tran, it'd be basketball.*

Even just pull people out of classes or free periods. You guys are accusing the grade of being lazy, but frankly I'm gonna have to accuse you guys for not taking any initiative/extra effort. Look at the system of handing out reports - just 5 minutes per person out of class to hand them the report plus a brief discussion. And that's just one day, think about what you can do over a whole week!

Yes, I'm aware that you guys have classes too, but you can't tell me that everyone has their free periods at the same time?

*If not personal pages, then do something like this. Just shove some pictures of hobbies/interests around the person's page (clip-art style, not actual photos or anything). Funai would get some rockets or random science crap, Alex Pan would be some graffiti... you get the point. If the committee was made correctly, then the group should be diverse enough to cover everyone in the year-group.

Edit: Here's some examples of clip art crap.

http://www.clker.com/search/science/1
    http://www.clker.com/search/music/1
    http://www.clker.com/search/basketball/1
    ...etc. You guys get the point.

Edit edit: Just remember the review process as well. People might disagree with your choice of images.
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:54 am

Daniel Dinh wrote:
    You've delivered your well thought out criticism, but now please why don't you come up with any suggestions to address this issue?

Have you even read my comment? I gave you criticism, and gave you a perfectly viable "suggestion". Keep telling everyone to do it, and if they haven't done it, then get someone who knows them well to do it, or you guys do it based on what you know about them. That's what a yearbook is essentially - how people remember you best. If you did a page for Sam Gill, it would have saxes and music everywhere. If it was for Michael Tran, it'd be basketball.*

Even just pull people out of classes or free periods. You guys are accusing the grade of being lazy, but frankly I'm gonna have to accuse you guys for not taking any initiative/extra effort. Look at the system of handing out reports - just 5 minutes per person out of class to hand them the report plus a brief discussion. And that's just one day, think about what you can do over a whole week!

Yes, I'm aware that you guys have classes too, but you can't tell me that everyone has their free periods at the same time?

*If not personal pages, then do something like this. Just shove some pictures of hobbies/interests around the person's page (clip-art style, not actual photos or anything). Funai would get some rockets or random science crap, Alex Pan would be some graffiti... you get the point. If the committee was made correctly, then the group should be diverse enough to cover everyone in the year-group.

Edit: Here's some examples of clip art crap.

http://www.clker.com/search/science/1
    http://www.clker.com/search/music/1
    http://www.clker.com/search/basketball/1
    ...etc. You guys get the point.

Edit edit: Just remember the review process as well. People might disagree with your choice of images.
    Ahhhh, the good ol' clip art days - appropriate in primary school but probably looks a bit "nooby" if profile's are gonna have them. And I don't think we should let anyone other than the person themselves do their own profile, based solely on the fact that they might not agree with that design for their final souvenir from the school. If the individual profile designs worked - we'd take that path no questions asked, but it doesn't seem like people can be bothered handing in such things. I know for a fact that about 40% will do such a thing, but it's still only 40% of the whole grade. Since people are gonna have troubles handing in a document with answers to a few questions, they certainly won't be motivated to design a whole page. Profiles should be a personal thing, and best left to the individual.

Yeah, you can probably say we're a bit lazy, but it's better that way since we have a "high-quality" product (subject to controversy) that actually looks consistent and "professional" (also subject to controversy!). So yeah, that's a little chunk of Man's opinion - of course you're welcome to object!
    Daniel Dinh

Post by Daniel Dinh Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:26 am

And that's why I suggested the review system. For example, put a "preview" page in the roll call for each person (individually, not the whole book...), and if they don't like something then they go and tell you. Look at how Kenneth got everyone to size up jerseys during lunches. It's not like you won't be there every single lunch.

The page doesn't have to be chockers full of clip art, it could be like those>>> swirly plant-things on the side of the post - just a little backdrop or a water mark.

Summary: Do something... Like I said, a yearbook should have some personisation, no matter how tripe it is.
    Ling chi Lee
    Ling chi Lee

Post by Ling chi Lee Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 am

I know this is your older comment, I'm not trying to flame, but:

Daniel Dinh wrote:Jesus Christ people! I make a legitimate question and you people immediately start flaming and making assumptions everywhere. I wasn't being a egotist or "trying to get my way". I didn't know the answer to the question, and I was legitimately interested, and Man was the only one reasonable enough to give a response that didn't essentially say "Fuck you!"
    True, it was a question. Theres no problems with that. But between your two choices, I don't see why you have to call a page that you didn't design personally to be "crappy". Also, watch your language. Its because of your bad language that people are "flaming" you.

Daniel Dinh wrote:

"Besides, I'm still right...." ....comeon. If you didn't edit this part in then I would have admitted saying you have an overblown ego to be wrong.You now officially have the biggest ego of everyone using the internetz. Jeez, you must understand the difference between opinion and fact. The profile page is a bad idea TO YOU. AND YOU ONLY IN THIS THREAD. See, the idea is that for people who have many friends, they can contact each other easily or look back at the times when we were in yr 12. Stop putting down everything like its bad when they haven't even finalized their final idea. Is it only good if they do exactly what you do? Then it'd be Dinh's Book, not our YEARbook.

Daniel Dinh wrote:
    Being perfectly honest, I think you people are just taking the easiest path/path with least amount of effort required, just like the formal "committee".

I'm not in the committee, but whether that is true or not, you should keep your thoughts to yourself if its only insults. The correct way to give a suggestion is not like that. That is assuming you were trying to give them a suggestion to do something in the first place, which then you're doing it wrong!! I suggest you to not be so sharp in your language (doing it right!!)
    Protip: Criticism is different from insult.

---well, at least your replies after that were better. Personally, I reckon your idea of the 'personalised' profile page was good, but I doubt students/teachers will be happy if you stick in clip arts on their page or pulling them out from class.
    Daniel Dinh wrote:
    The page doesn't have to be chockers full of clip art, it could be like those>>> swirly plant-things on the side of the post - just a little backdrop or a water mark.

Doing it right!!! And I'm pretty sure they're thinking of doing this lol.

But you know who doesn't ever criticize? Man, who I'll be asking a question right now: How big is the space for each student's profile?

chillll
    Trung
    Trung
    Admin

Post by Trung Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:30 am

fuck you ling, i have hte biggest ego Sad
    Ling chi Lee
    Ling chi Lee

Post by Ling chi Lee Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm

You can be second lolololol
    Daniel Dinh

Post by Daniel Dinh Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Really, can you blame me for getting annoyed? I essentially read through a whole page of "Fuck you, Daniel" from posting a little comment (plus I spent the whole day dealing with similar attitudes from little kids).

I'll explain in "clear" terms now that I'm not drunk on rage.

Effort: Our Jersey committee took effort to actually go out and poll everyone about things, we made a facebook group to get some submissions from people (though being the holidays, we only got some from Abundo, but there was a lot of interest (apparently)), and we got criticism and comments from a handful of people about each design. When that half-failed, we went around through roll-calls and asked people for opinions, vote on Jacket v. Jersey, colour, etc. and got the final design.
    Though you can say you're doing something similar with these forums, tell me honestly: How many *different* people have visited these forums in the past week? As in people outside our group of asians as well. The yeargroup knows nothing about the yearbook except that there's a yearbook and a DVD. No one knows what the book will look like, no one knows what's gonna be on the DVD. They know what the kersey will be/have, but *nothing* of the yearbook.

Profile book: Think from an asian's POV (ie. 90% of the grade). We're paying something like $30 (quoted as "under $50"), and we get a book and a DVD. I can't say for sure, but I'd say that cost is for a full-colour book, like how our Journals are printed (I imagine). Like you said (or someone said), you're paying for "a colour page", not "a half-colour" page. Colour is colour, they aren't gonna charge you more or less, so why be so... restrictive?
    Then there's the issue of...

Personalisation: I already covered this. A yearbook should be personal, something that represents you as a person. I don't think filling out a "survey" is very personal.
    Think about it this way. Imagine we have some retarded kid who can't read (I use that term literally here). They should be able to look at each person's page and (without looking at their profile photo) say whose page it is. *That's* what a yearbook should be like.
    Yes, we have the DVD, but what happens in 20 years when the DVD player becomes extinct? 50 years? 70? What are the chances that anything they have then will be backwards compatible? The book is there because it lasts, and unless there's a housefire (which would actually destroy the DVD as well), your book will last your whole life.
    Right now we have a bunch of phone numbers/emails that will most likely change/die/expire within the next 5-10 years (I've gone through 3 1/2 different emails in high-school alone, and 5 in my life [that doesn't even include my sham emails]).

I don't know why people are (were) so harsh? You guys asked for criticism (or implied it) and I gave criticism. Don't ask for what you can't handle next time.

(Yes, I *have* over-thought this)
    Ling chi Lee
    Ling chi Lee

Post by Ling chi Lee Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Daniel=chilllllll

you got very good criticism.

Members of the committee didn't even 'flame' you. I'm not even part of the committee. So yeah, they can take critiscm.

Except you just gotta remember just like how you got annoyed when I questioned you back with negative points, other people will get annoyed if you basically say the yearbook is crap unless you follow "this idea, and this idea"
    Even if those ideas are good points, doesn't mean the committee isn't doing well in other aspects of the yearbook with other great ideas.

Criticism/suggestion which you intend, is different from bashing, which you were previously doing.

before further de-railing ensues, lets go back to the yearbook.

I also suggest a space to put where we commonly hang out. Like, Room 13, basketball courts, etc. How are you gentlemen! All your bases are belong to us!
    Trung
    Trung
    Admin

Post by Trung Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 am

relax everyone, what daniel is saying is right, we should be able to customise but then it'll jack up the price, we should put it to a vote, price vs customisation. I suggest doing the same thing that kenneth did, but call a year meeting so we miss out on classes =p. Also if you think people are gonna go wild on their pages, just shorten the deadline, so that there is enough time to review and to edit.
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 am

Man wrote:Any question/suggestions - just post a reply or ask anyone!
    Daniel Dinh wrote:I don't know why people are (were) so harsh? You guys asked for criticism (or implied it) and I gave criticism. Don't ask for what you can't handle next time.

(Yes, I *have* over-thought this)
    Lol, all suggestions are welcome, so we can make this the greatest possible product for you guys since it is gonna be our parting memento after all. And yes Ling, I feed off people's suggestions and criticism - yummy! And btw, too much negative energy in here, lets just CTFD and chill yeah?! Lol, too much argument that's not really leading to anything (even though you guys make great points, keep them up!), so peaceful suggestions if you guys don't mind!
    Trung wrote:fuck you ling, i have hte biggest ego Sad
    Ahahahaha, God bless comic relief!
    Ling chi Lee wrote:But you know who doesn't ever criticize? Man, who I'll be asking a question right now: How big is the space for each student's profile?
    It's gonna be half a page each to everyone (I know, waaaaay not enough for our colourful characters!), but that's the way it is after a lot of "discussion" from the committee thingamabob. It's the best trade-off between space and available space, since like Martin said a few posts earlier, the profiles aren't gonna make up the whole Yearbook. I don't think many people are gonna like have only 1/2 a page dedicated to them...
    Ling chi Lee
    Ling chi Lee

Post by Ling chi Lee Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:25 am

ok bro.

also, how about on each person's profile we can let, say, 3 people, make a comment on that person? (With permission from the person of course)

e.g on Man's profile
    Ling- Man's fat!

and you can choose to have it on the profile or not.

and like, set up like this: WARNING Ling's badly designed artist impression.
    Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010 - Page 2 Untitl10
    lol sorry if it burnt out your retinas out but laptop pad + MS paint= bad.

you are on the way to destruction make your time! hahaha!
    Daniel Dinh

Post by Daniel Dinh Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Suggestion: Have a page in the book for each roll class to sign/write messages/whatever. Obviously with certain censoring and reviewing, but it will at least give people the chance to add *something* to the book that's more personal than the pre-determined (and frankly tripe) questions.

Awesome, but impractical idea: Actually get people and film them answering the questions, like those "ads" on Hungrybeast [face in front of the black screen]. It might actually give people an image to remember other than the fake smiles from the "professional" photos (I'm assuming you're just using the ones we took last last week).

Edit: Example
    Ling chi Lee
    Ling chi Lee

Post by Ling chi Lee Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Daniel Dinh wrote:Suggestion: Have a page in the book for each roll class to sign/write messages/whatever. Obviously with certain censoring and reviewing, but it will at least give people the chance to add *something* to the book that's more personal than the pre-determined (and frankly tripe) questions.

Awesome, but impractical idea: Actually get people and film them answering the questions, like those "ads" on Hungrybeast [face in front of the black screen]. It might actually give people an image to remember other than the fake smiles from the "professional" photos (I'm assuming you're just using the ones we took last last week).

Edit: Example

except with questions that generate a positive atmosphere lol.Good stuff to fill up the DVD lol.

For teh DVD you can record stuff from like, after-reaction of shaving hair, talent quest, etc.
    You can basically do one where you ask them "What do you want to say to the grade (to be put into the yearbook dvd)?"
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Ling chi Lee wrote:ok bro.

also, how about on each person's profile we can let, say, 3 people, make a comment on that person? (With permission from the person of course)

e.g on Man's profile
    Ling- Man's fat!

and you can choose to have it on the profile or not.

and like, set up like this: WARNING Ling's badly designed artist impression.
    Yearbook Profile & Media Uploads - Class of 2010 - Page 2 Untitl10
    lol sorry if it burnt out your retinas out but laptop pad + MS paint= bad.

you are on the way to destruction make your time! hahaha!
    AHAHAHAHAHAA I gotta pay you for that - you put in all that effort! And those comments on the side represent me to a tee! Lol, GREEN FTW! Sounds like a cool idea but how are we gonna pick the three comments to go with the profile - what if you're really cool like Man and everyone wants to put in their great comment about me? If we let the profile's owner do it, then it's like favouritism, and it always sucks to pick out a "best friend".
    Daniel Dinh wrote:Awesome, but impractical idea: Actually get people and film them answering the questions, like those "ads" on Hungrybeast [face in front of the black screen]. It might actually give people an image to remember other than the fake smiles from the "professional" photos (I'm assuming you're just using the ones we took last last week).
    Hmmm... not a bad suggestion at all, I quite like that video profile thingy! Since we're gonna be taking our own photos instead of using those "professional" school photo ones, we can record a little parting message from everyone as well! Very nice indeed!
    Ling chi Lee
    Ling chi Lee

Post by Ling chi Lee Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:05 pm

fffffffff gotta take a photo of myself before I shave...
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Ling chi Lee wrote:fffffffff gotta take a photo of myself before I shave...
    OMG YOU'RE SHAVING!? NO MORE TRADEMARK LING SIDEFRINGE ASIAN HAIR?! (wait, now I think about it, it's pretty normal hair...)
    William Luo
    William Luo
    Admin

Post by William Luo Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 am

@Man: Ask to see if you can put a Daily notice in the Yr 12 section so that everybody knows where to find the stuff for their profile
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 am

William Luo wrote:@Man: Ask to see if you can put a Daily notice in the Yr 12 section so that everybody knows where to find the stuff for their profile
    Hmmmm... daily notices eh? Not a bad idea at all, but the problem is I've never put in a notice before. I'm sure you're willing to help me aren't you?
    Trung
    Trung
    Admin

Post by Trung Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:01 pm

dw monday morning, lets do this shit man
    Man
    Man
    Spammer / Pedo / Spy

Post by Man Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:49 am

Trung wrote:dw monday morning, lets do this shit man
    Alright! Monday morning it is!
    Daniel Dinh

Post by Daniel Dinh Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 am

I love how you guys did absolutely nothing.

Just write a message on paper, (I think) get it signed by a teacher, and give it to the office. It's not really anything hard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:45 am